Friday, June 22, 2007

Hear Me!!

O Lord, hear me as I pray; pay attention to my groaning. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God. For I pray to no one but you. Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly. Psalm 5:1-3


Through this psalm, King David taught much about the expectant attitude of a powerful pray-er.


He begins his prayer as if he is putting his hands on each cheekbone of the face of his God and saying, “Please pay attention to my pain and anguish. No one else who listens to my complaints has the power to change my circumstances as You do, O Lord, for You are the God above all gods. You are all-knowing, always present, and all-powerful.”


The truth taught in every psalm is this: God alone is Sovereign. The psalmists were convinced that they could petition the King of kings with the smallest or deepest angst of their hearts – He was neither too great not too busy nor too powerful to care about the singular needs of His followers. And David wasn’t going to wait until day’s end to speak with Him. No, the earliest hour of his day was barely soon enough.


Plan your appointment with the King one day in advance. Put it on your calendar as the first uninterrupted house of your day.

Exert from "Sacred Obsession" by Becky Tirabassi



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The thought of me cupping God's face trying to get his attention is powerful.

However, what I think of is how often God has tried to cup my own face, but I am too caught up in seeing things my way to recognize.