Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Great Expectations

Submitted by: Sandra Harris Frey

Dedicated to the memory of Jamie Mattingly Frey and Betty Morgan

It’s the beginning of a new year and we all struggle with wanting to make a fresh new start with something in our lives. There is always something we would like to change or improve upon in our personal lives.

A little over ten years ago, my husband took me to meet his family. We had a delightful visit and I immediately adored his mother and aunt. They were fascinating and I could talk with them for hours. It was over Labor Day weekend in 1997 when Jamie, Betty and I were having coffee watching the television coverage of the death of Princess Diana. It was devastating for us to hear of her death. We were the enthusiasts who watched her televised marriage to Prince Charles in 1981 at 3am Eastern Standard time, took great pleasure in seeing the press of her dancing with John Travolta at a White House function, and were deeply moved by her aids awareness and landmine prevention campaigns. As we sat with heavy hearts, Jamie looked at me and said, “Go after your dreams, Sandra. Don’t wait until it’s too late to accomplish them”.

That day, I made a promise to compile a yearly list of attainable goals each year that would take me closer to my dreams. The key word is “attainable”. Many have “high expectations” regarding goals and push themselves over their limits, but never attain true satisfaction with achievement. Wouldn’t it be better to have “great expectations” and move forward in a manner where you enjoy the journey to true accomplishment?

Happy New Year!

No comments: