Wednesday, August 29, 2007

You Gotta Have Hope

Submitted by: Sandra Harris Frey

Dedicated to my dear friends who have inspired me, trusted me, and accepted me for being Sandy Frey

I sat down last evening to write my weekly blog article and found that I stared at a blank page for five minutes. I ended up turning the computer off without a single word written. Not my style. Yesterday was one of those days filled with such pressure, stress, and grief that I wanted to go home and pull the covers over my head. Even a good book that evening wouldn’t get me out of my funk. In the past to solve the “funky blues”, I would eat an entire pint of ice cream. Make that chocolate ice cream with whipped cream and chocolate sauce. However, my physician and diabetes educator warned me last week that there are no more chances to avoid medication if I continue down that slippery road. What’s a girl to do?

The next day, I voiced my concerns of “anxiety ridden writer’s block” to a trusted friend and coworker who was experiencing high doses of tension as well. However, always the positive force, she said that she ended her prior day on a very bright note of celebration. She found out her dear friend is expecting her second child. She suggested that I write about the many ways that people overcome negative obstacles.

I began my research by asking others for their recipe for getting over that “bump in the road”. The one answer most consistent was that most relied on faith and prayer to gain strength and stability. Strength and stability for what? That’s simple. The hope for a better day.

Being a romantic Southern girl, I had to recall Scarlet's famous words. Remember Scarlet O’Hara’s last words in Margaret Mitchell’s famed novel Gone with the Wind? "After all, tomorrow is another day!"

Psalm 71:5
For you are my hope; O Lord God, you are my trust from my youth and the source of my confidence.

No comments: