Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Family Encouragement by Lori B. Snider

As summer winds down, you may need an extra dose of encouragement or perspective. Then, don’t forget to pass it on to your family.

Being a Mom has been one of my greatest JOYS in life! I can remember as the nurse placed the first pink bundle of joy in my arms, I thought, it doesn’t get any better than this!

As my girls got older and were in Elementary School, I would often comment on how much I loved being a Mom. I can remember on more than one occasion, someone saying, “Well, just wait until middle school!” or “You won’t be saying that when they turn 16!” Ladies, I’m here to tell you that I refused to claim those words! Each stage of childhood has presented it own challenges, but more than that, each stage presented new and amazing joys!

Please don’t let the comments of other parents cloud your mind with negative words and thoughts. Continue to look for the good in each season of your child’s development. Yes, there will be difficult times, but God will bring both of you through! And while you’re at it, say those positive words out loud for your child and other parents to hear.

Here are some tips for passing on encouraging words to your kids:
1. I left my daughters notes on their pillows, their place at the table, on the steering wheel of the car (once they were driving!!), etc. that told them how much I loved them and what an honor it was to be their Mom!
2. Use Post-its and write a short love note or encouragement or Bible verse and put it on the mirror in their bathroom, at their place at the table, on their bedroom door, or inside their special drinking cup.
3. Change things up with your notes to make them fun.
• Write backwards so they can decode in the mirror
• Use stickers, glitter, or funny pictures
• Have the note be from a family pet
4. Make a checklist like: “We’ve been so busy, looking forward to some fun with you. What do you want to do?"
___ Go for pizza
___ Go to a movie
___ Go for a bike ride
___ Your suggestion ___________

Our children hear enough negative remarks from the world, let your words be discipline when necessary, but praise and love whenever possible!

Please share an idea of how you encourage the members of your family.


Lori is an Assoicate with iBloom. Check out her bio page.

2 comments:

MD said...

Lori...thanks for this reminder today! I, too, have received those comments when talking about my love of this role as mother and refuse to receive those words spoken over me. But it is nice to have this reminder today...thank you! One of my favorite things to do is leave a note in my son's lunchbox...sometimes it is a knock, knock joke or something fun like that...in the middle of his school day, I like to remind him that I am thinking of him and praying for him.

Leigh Ann Napier said...

Thanks Lori! I have already heard that so much from others..."Oh, she may be sweet now but just wait until she's 3" but I refuse to believe it.

I try to encourage my family by recognizing all of our blessings and showing gratitude to each other and to God. I want to "condition" my daughter to look for the good in people, situations, and circumstances. Because joy in life, marriage, and parenting is usually a matter of perspective!