Tuesday, December 29, 2009

No Fuss Goals and Wishes by Betsy Ringer


What FUN it would be to write down your goals and wishes for 2010, put them away, and get them out at the end of the year only to discover 8 out of ten of the goals on your list had actually happened!! Impossible? Not at all!

When my kids were younger, on New Year’s Day we would all make a list of our goals and wishes for the upcoming year. Each family member put their name on their list. Each of us shared our list with the other family members and we prayed over the lists. Then I collected them and taped them to the Christmas Tree ornament box. That’s right – I taped them to the Christmas decorations and didn’t look at them again until we pulled out the decorations the next Christmas.

It was always so much fun getting out those goals and wishes and seeing how many of them had been accomplished or had happened. Each year I was stunned at how many were realized in the last year! “I am going to redecorate the living room. I will call my friend in Ohio once a month. I will host a Bible study in my home. I will take a two mile walk outside three times a week on the average. I will save $3000 so we can travel to California. I will put on three events at work.” ALL happened without me constantly reviewing and keeping track of my goals!! Each year I did this I was so pleasantly surprised!

Now, there were always a few goals that just didn’t happen – like lose 50 pounds (25 maybe) or declutter my whole house (two rooms maybe) or learn how to make jewelry (I’m really not very crafty). But for the most part my goals and wishes actually happened! And the same was true for the rest of the family members.

I can’t help but think about what Habakkuk says,
Habakkuk 2:1-3 (Contemporary English Version)
The LORD Answers Habakkuk Again
1While standing guard
on the watchtower,
I waited for the LORD's answer,
before explaining the reason
for my complaint. 2Then the LORD told me:
"I will give you my message
in the form of a vision.
Write it clearly enough
to be read at a glance.
3At the time I have decided,
my words will come true.
You can trust what I say
about the future.
It may take a long time,
but keep on waiting--
it will happen!

Try these steps:

1. Pray, asking God to give you guidance and direction for the following year. Ask Him to impress on your heart the goals and wishes to write down.
2. Write down what comes to you. Don’t labor over it. They are probably things you have been thinking about for quite some time anyway.
3. If you want to, invite other family members to do the same.
4. Tape your “tablets” – your lists – to a Christmas decoration box.
5. Enjoy your year. Then next Christmas season, get out your lists and celebrate each one the Lord has helped you with!

Tomorrow, I will share an alternative to making New Year’s resolutions. 2010 is going to be a fabulous year!

Hmmmm, I need to go pray and write down my goals and wishes for 2010. After all, it’s about time to put away those Christmas decorations!

2 comments:

Leigh Ann Napier said...

Just finished your challenge and I'm super excited to put my list in the box AND to put away those boxes of decorations! Thanks for sharing this sweet family tradition. I look forward to doing this each year with my family and seeing all that happens along the way.

Anonymous said...

I just found your iBloom podcasts and loved this idea when I heard each of you speaking about it. Sounds like a wonderful way to see His growth and share with your family.
Ginger