Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Season of Hope by Lori Burrell

We had our first big snow in my city, so you know what that means- a weekend of Hallmark movies! I conducted my own “marathon”; actually watched one movie twice! It was new this season and so sweet

As I snuggled in my comfy chair with my favorite throw, I watched characters end up in quaint little towns with names like “Mistletoe” and find the true meaning of Christmas. Now, don’t think I am making fun- I usually become part of their families by the end of the 2-hour movie!

After watching several movies, I began to see a theme emerging- the love and hope of Christmas. I thought back over my year and how at times hope was the only thing I had! I recently went through a divorce of a long-term marriage and I was pretty much dying in a pile for months! But, even in my darkest hours, God’s peace and love prevailed. I am grateful that God gave me the desire and the ability to believe in Him-He is hope. I remember reading early in the process that we either live in faith or fear- I chose faith!

Now, don’t think having hope made everything easy- there were nights I put my pjs on at 6 p.m. so that day could end and a new one could begin! But when you have hope, there are possibilities! You realize that you can and must put one foot in front of the other. You begin looking up and out and realize God still has a purpose and plans for you.

And, you allow others to serve and take care of you- the hands and feet of Christ. Love comes in many forms- mine was in family members who called and emailed daily to check on me! It came in friends who literally pulled me out of the house to go to a movie or dinner! It was from co-workers who picked up the slack when I could barely function! It came in the many, many prayers that were petitioned on my behalf when I was too grief stricken to pray!

So, this season whether you are in the midst of a devastating trial or in the sweet spot of life, give and receive the greatest gift of all… the gift of God’s love and hope. And show the world the “reason for the season”!

1 comment:

G said...

My siser Lori brings such joy to those around her. During this year of difficult moments, we as a family marveled at Lori and her unflagging strength. She is a beacon of light that draws people to her....and her love and compassion shines through. Lori, we love you!