Friday, January 21, 2011

Putting Away Christmas

Well, it’s been almost a month since Christmas… have you put away all the evidence of the season? Have you packed and stored all the decorations, recipes, and wrapping paper? Have you also put away the feelings of love, hope, and peace that entered your heart this time of year?

I began pondering this idea after I sent one of my daily emails to my grown daughters. I wrote something like, “today I am going to put away Christmas.” As I took down the hand-knitted stockings so lovingly created by my Great-Aunt, I thought about those words I had used, “putting away Christmas”. I knew what I was trying to say, but somehow the words struck a deeper meaning.

While raising my daughters, there were times when circumstances caused us to celebrate their birthdays after the date or someone would send them a card or gift later. I always told them to stretch this celebration as long as they could! But, was I doing that with the birth of Christ? Was I daily opening my heart and mind to that long ago night filled with angels and shepherds and the miracle birth?

One thing I know for sure, I don’t want my relationship with the Prince of Peace to be a seasonal one! I want Jesus to fill every thought, word, and action of my life! That’s a big statement; how was I going to be intentional this year about making this happen? One thing I added is memorizing scripture. I am participating in Beth Moore’s blog group and memorizing 2 verses per month. God was getting tired of hearing me say, “it is hard for me to memorize scripture”, and so I decided to just do it! I know that by focusing and filling my mind with His word, I will be prepared to share His love and truths with others.

So, how do you spend time with God and grow your relationship with Him? How do you keep the meaning of Christmas a daily celebration? Share your ideas, Ladies!

Oh, I also decided to leave out my nativity scene this year. It is a reminder of the love, hope, and peace of Christ who fills my heart!

Joy in the Journey,

Lori Burrell

iBloom Associate

No comments: