Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It's Off to College We Go! by Lori Snider

It started when my oldest daughter was in the 10th grade; someone would ask how old she was and then I’d say the grade and immediately think- she’s almost a senior! I was known to tear up at the grocery store and any other place. I knew I needed to get a grip on the fact that my girls were going to grow up and leave the house!


I was browsing at the Christian bookstore and came upon the book, Give Them Wings by Carol Kuykendall. This book saved my life! My copy is tear-stained and dog-eared. I have recommended this book to many and have even purchased a few more copies for friends.


In her book, Carol gives advice and personal testimonies to use throughout your child’s high school years. You don’t have to wait until their senior year to buy this book! Here are a couple ideas that you might want to try:

  • Keep a journal of your child’s senior year. I recorded the memories- both good and bad- and gave this as a graduation gift to my girls.
  • Have your family goodbye prior to dropping off your child. Those move-in days are hectic- Carol shares a hilarious story of how her son’s goodbye was abrupt and not at all what she envisioned. Have your prayer and hug time before you head out to the dorm!
  • Make as many decisions ahead of time as possible - finances, phone calls home, and expectations of college breaks. You may adjust these as the year goes on, but it is helpful if you have prayed and thought about major matters!


Enjoy the fact that your child is about to experience a new season of life and send them off with love and support! Let them know you have confidence in their ability to leave the nest! You will soon find ways to embrace this stage of parenting just as you did the other stages! Find the joy!


Lori is an Associate with iBloom and specializes in issues about parenting. She finds great joy in being a Mom and it is her desire that all women embrace and enjoy this amazing role! Click here to see Lori's bio page.

No comments: