Monday, September 28, 2009

You CAN Fly by Betsy Ringer

There I was at dawn working with a team of people, pulling a huge hot air balloon out of a strong canvas bag. Once spread out on the blacktop we held out the ropes of the opening so the powerful fan could fill the balloon with air. We worked quickly getting the basket in place, the ropes secured, and then the flames spewing the hot air brought the giant balloon over the basket.


Fifty other balloons of brilliant colors surrounded us, going from flat, to full to teetering upward and lifting effortlessly off the ground. They dotted the sky like giant moving polka-dots. They carried passengers who for one reason or another had a desire to ride in a hot air balloon. They were fulfilling a dream or an experience that at one time seemed improbable. Their once hidden aspiration was climbing higher and higher toward realization.


My job on the crew was far from over. We would track the balloon, assist in the landing and pack it up. As I watched the balloons delivering dreams come true, I was reminded of my own dream come true many years ago. I remember sitting in the audience watching a magnificent community production – 150 men and 150 women performing show tunes throughout the decades. They were all non-professionals, but the costumes, singing, dancing and orchestral arrangements were as excellent as any seen on Broadway in New York City.


As I sat in the audience, all I could think of was that I wanted to be on that stage. The next year I went to the auditions without telling anyone what I was doing. I delivered my tryout next to a grand piano on a ballroom floor, knowing my talent paled next to 99% of the people there. Nonetheless, I actually MADE it! For the next six years I sang and danced to those fabulous show tunes in front of an appreciative audience six nights per season. I overcame my fear, went to the tryouts and have that memory to boost me toward trying other things that seem so far out of reach.


What lies inside of you that you would really like to do but fear, practicality, time or any other excuse keeps you from engaging in? I encourage you to step out now and make your way to the front and give it a try. Whatever is holding you back is invisible. It’s time to fly – or sing – or dance – or take a class – or change careers – or volunteer – or run a 10K – or discover your design – or write a book – or name yours here __________.


Maybe this video will give you little inspiration.


Please click here to share a dream or experience you would like to become a reality.


Betsy is an Associate with iBloom. Contact her to come speak to your group, be your Life Coach or attend one of her classes by phone.



No comments: