Saturday, April 17, 2010

Five Secrets that Turn Good Intentions into Real Results by Betsy Ringer



I pulled up to the red light and glanced at the van positioned next to me, slightly forward. The woman in the driver’s seat was on her cell phone. Her head was looking down like she was searching for something in her purse. Three kids were in the back seats with school papers and one was putting on soccer shoes. The mother flung her arm back with an object for one of the kids. It looked like she was talking frustratingly to someone on the phone or maybe she was on hold and reprimanding the kids. I don’t know. But as she snapped the phone shut and our eyes met, we recognized each other. Her frazzled face turned into a broad smile and she waved as the light turned green and she quickly zoomed away - probably a bit embarrassed.

This scene reminded me so much of myself when I was about that age. I had a full life with work, husband, kids, home, friends, and a to-do list that kept me in constant turmoil. I carried around a sense of discontent and felt guilty about it. I seemed to look at what wasn’t quite right rather than really realizing how great things were nor feeling equipped to make things better. I found a quote that popped me into awareness, “What a wonderful life I’ve had! I only wish I’d realized it sooner!” (Collette, French novelist who wrote Gigi)

Since then I have learned many secrets about shifting from living to thriving. I have worked with thousands of women sharing tools, stories, insights, resources and perspective shifts. Gradually they move from feeling like life is slipping away to the ability to manage important life areas and then focus on what really matters. They learn how to turn good intentions into real results that brighten their lives.

Today, I’d like to share just five of those secrets:

1. Develop a compelling vision for how you want your life to go. Before you take a trip or drive to a new city you consult a map and decide which route you will take. Do the same for your life.

2. Find resources that help you be the strong person you know you are. We can’t know everything so find the “experts” and let them guide you.

3. Make friends with time. Craft today – truly the only day you have – so that it is well-lived. Guard against being in a hurry – it’s a sickness.

4. Give yourself permission to be happy. Get healthy, de-clutter, embrace your inner Pollyanna, and choose to manage your life a way you can thrive.

5. There are some things you must give up to get what you truly want. We have been brought up to be consumers and addicts - shopping, food, email, busyness, perfection, activity, etc. It’s so difficult to let go of what’s destroying us but when we do we make room for what God truly has for us!

This is just the beginning. You no longer have to ask, “But how do I start?” NOW is the time to invest in others by investing in yourself. You can begin this month to turn your good intentions into real results in 12 key areas of your life.

I have a new iThrive group starting April 27. Monthly, you will receive materials that break down the important life areas for success into manageable, bite-sized pieces. Then you meet once a month with a fabulous group by phone for coaching and encouragement to make lasting change. You can realize the wonderful life you live and gain tools and resources to manage it so you can focus on what really matters.

I really want to see you in my group. I’d love to see you finally make the breakthrough you’ve always dreamed of! It's not too late to begin.

CLICK HERE to find out more and register.

Please LEAVE A COMMENT if you would like to be part of my group but need another time slot. I’ll be starting another group soon.


1 comment:

Angie said...

Betsy, I am so excited to be starting this journey on iThrive with you. I find your voice and words encouraging on the CWI podcasts. I am so glad that your coaching is God centered and I find that it what has drawn me the most to the program. Look forward to the 1st meeting!
Angie