Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Coaching Kids in Meaningful Gift-Giving by Betsy Ringer


Have you ever been disappointed that your family FORGOT your birthday, Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day?  Or they just didn’t do what you were hoping they would do?  May I pass on some words of wisdom?  Coach them in the art of gift-giving.  When it involves giving to others, you can coach them.  AND you can enlist your husband, friend or relative to coach them for YOU!!  Mother’s Day is coming up so why not help your husband help your kids give you a meaningful gift.  Here are some ideas of inexpensive but meaningful gifts that you can help your kids make for others or your husband can help them make for YOU.  The idea is to teach kids how to honor people who are valuable in their lives.

  1. Create a MOM poster.  Kids cut out words and pictures from magazines that remind them of things they love about Mom.  Glue them on some cardboard.  You can even frame it. When they present it they can elaborate on why they chose the words and pictures!
  2. Write and perform a song that lets Mom know just how special she is.
  3. Get bulletin board paper from the teacher store and make a huge sign about how great Mom is and put it up on the garage where everyone in the neighborhood can see.
  4. Put fun and complimentary messages on little pieces of paper.  Put each in a different balloon and have helium put in them.  Make a balloon bouquet.  Tell Mom at the end of the day she will have to pop the balloons and read the messages inside.
  5. Create a short book that has on each page a reason you love your mom.  Draw a picture to go along with it.  
  6. Another book idea - this time have everyone in the family contribute.  Write out good memories - funny things that happened with the family, fun activities, embarrassing moments, and other great things you experienced together.  Draw a picture or find a picture to glue in the book.  
  7. Research some yummy recipes online and bake a meal or at least a dessert!
  8. Okay, so this one cost money.  But we LOVE to see that bag from the Brighton store.  Pick out anything from that store and we will love it - and they wrap it so pretty!

My personal favorite gifts from my kids include: 

  • A book my older son made where he drew a picture on each page and wrote a caption about something he liked about me or what we did together - yes, I treasure it still! 
  • My second son drew a portrait of me when he was 6 years old. I was dressed in an evening gown at the playground - what a woman!  Yes, it is FRAMED!
  • My daughter wrote a song and sang it for me - yes, I cried!


Over the years I have treasured going on our first picnic and hike of the season on Mother’s Day.  I love having the family together! I have loved reading their homemade cards or notes.


The important thing is for your children to learn how to tell others how they are special to them.  That is a learned skill so help them. And YOU can ask someone else to teach them how to recognize YOU in a meaningful way.  Enjoy your day!


Please share your most memorable "gift" from a family member - preferably something that was meaningful and not expensive.  Click on Comments below and share!!

3 comments:

Leigh Ann Napier said...

One of my favorite gifts was given to me by my little sister Kelly. As an assignment in grade school, she had to write about someone she admired and would want to be more like. She picked me! She then went on to say sweet things about why she picked me. She gave me a copy on no particular holiday. I treasure it still today.

Courtney said...

One of my moms favorite gifts from me was so easy, inexpensive and lasted all year. I took her on a trip down memory lane by typing out memories we've shared (many were MY childhood memories that made an impact on me, unbeknownst to her)on colorful slips of paper. I place 52 memories in a glass container and wrote a note for her to open one a week. She talked about them all year, many times calling me on a Sunday afternoon to talk and thank me. It has been as gratifying for me as it was for her. She can look back through my eyes and see what a wonderful mother she truly was and is!

Unknown said...

I love these ideas!! Thanks!!