Tuesday, May 19, 2009

KIDS CORNER: Cultivating a Happy Heart by Lori Snider

When my two daughters were very young, I spent time alone with God and pondered what values and character traits I wanted to help Kate and Molly acquire.  Now, please don’t think I thought it was all up to me, I am just God’s helper here on earth and it was truly my privilege that He had placed these two girls with me for 18 years!  I knew I wanted to expose them to a relationship with Christ.   I also wanted them to be kind, generous, responsible, and live a life of integrity.  I hoped their life would have strong academics, an appreciation of the arts, and an active lifestyle - whew - quite a list!!

 God quieted my heart and said, “Lori, if you will help them choose joy each day, it won’t matter what college they go to or if they can play the flute, they will be equipped to look for the good in others and all situations.”  So began “The Happiest Things!"  Each night at the dinner table, we went around and shared our happiest things of the day.  This became especially helpful when they became teenagers and didn’t always respond to “How was school today?”  I learned things about my daughters and husband that may not have come out of the normal dinner conversation. 

There were sometimes grumbles as they got older, but we continue to do this tradition today, even though the girls are out of college.  I found it interesting when Kate went off to college and babysat for a family, she shared this tradition with those children.  Does this mean that life is always rosy?  Absolutely not!  But, at the end of the day, we have a choice… and I choose joy!

1.  Please share something you have done (or ARE doing) with you child (or Grandchild) to foster a happy heart.   Click here to share a comment

2.  Check out Lori Snider, iBloom Associate, at http://www.ibloom.us/associates/lori.html

1 comment:

Leigh Ann Napier said...

Lori thanks so much for sharing!

I love to point out all of God's blessings as much as possible with my 2 year old. If it is sunny we praise Him. If it is raining, we thank Him for the free car wash and for washing the birds... I also ask her to think of ways that God has blessed her. Her answers are so sweet!

Thanks for this reminder that each day we have a choice... Choose joy!