Monday, May 11, 2009

Enough Is As Good As a Feast by Leigh Ann Napier

“Enough is as good as a feast.” Mary Poppins explains to little Michael and Jane. I doubt the wisdom of these words sank into their developing minds. But if it did…what a difference it would make!

I never thought watching Mary Poppins with my 2 ½ year old would turn out to be a learning experience! But it did. My grandfather used to always tell me that everyone knows at least something you don’t, so listen up and you might learn something.

Well I must have had my listening ears on during the movie. My daughter was a little aggravated when I got up to grab my notebook though. My husband looked at me as if to say, "Really? You’re going to take notes while watching Mary Poppins?" Oh well, if I don’t write my notes down as they come, they could be lost forever. I always keep a pen and paper close by.

Back to what I learned from Mary. Enough is as good as a feast. How much my life would improve if I just took that to heart. Stopping at enough or being content with enough would be so freeing, wouldn’t it? I could:

· Put down the fork when I’m full

· Have boundaries around my work hours

· Maybe down-size my home (which we did)

· Reduce the number of activities kids are involved with (not there yet, but see the temptation ahead)

· Less time on Facebook in exchange for more face time with my family and friends


So how would that improve my life?

· Shed some pounds

· have more time to spend with family

· less house to clean, less mortgage to pay

· more free time

· life at a more relaxed pace.

I feel calmer just writing this!

If you want to join me on the less is more mission, I would recommend you read Making Room For Life by Randy Frazee. Can’t say enough good things about it.

We are in this together, so please take a minute and share a time about simplifying. Just click on "comments" below.

Click here to leave a comment.


6 comments:

Nancy said...

We're doing a study at our church based on Kerry & Chris Shook's book, One Month to Live. That study has influenced me to get me priorites organized in the right order. Like most women, I struggle with too little time to do too many things. As women of faith, we need to encourage each other.

Jane said...

Great suggestions! Thanks for sharing these simple, yet effective tips for a more peaceful life. I loved "Making Room For Life", too.

Anonymous said...

Leigh Ann--this is a beautiful thought and something I'm trying to incorporate more into my life! Thanks for sharing!

KMB said...

As always, you are such a ray of sunshine! I've applied so many of your little tricks and still organize my closet just how you showed me! You always have great tips to make things easier to happily accomplish! You're the best life coach AND sister! I love you!

Christi said...

Leigh Ann,
Wow, I loved reading your words. This seemed like something that would be published in a magazine or newspaper. I agree with the beauty of less. This is a hard concept to practice but one worthy of effort. Thanks for the reminder.
Christi

Lori said...

Mary Poppins is a fave movie at our house- the girls and I would dance around singing, "Just a spoonful of sugar..."!
Leigh Ann, you have captured ideas of little things that turn into big things if we can implement them in our lives! Thank you for challenging all of us to think of ways to simplify, thus having more time to serve Him!